Sunday, September 9, 2007

Heat Stroke is over...

Well, the great land of Minnesota has finally cooled down. Last week we had hit our 29th day of over 90 degree weather this year. (The average is 15 per year.) Being in school was horrific. We are without air conditioning and wilted is an understatement (for both me and the students).
It was amazing to see how significantly the weather affects me and my level of excitment. I especially see it in German 1 because I've taught it so many times that I have a good feel for the "normal level of excitement"... and it was definitely low this week. And you know what happens when my excitement is low? The kids' excitement is seemingly non-existent. I guess that explains why the upper level kids sometimes seem less than excited... happy... but not really "excited" per se. I guess it's because I'm not. Crazy.
The first week went well (as well as could be expected with the weather anyway). My kids are all rockstars. I am so excited and they have done a fine job... all of them! We did the "what are your goals" talks that moved into the "rules for the room" talk... and those turned out very... let's say... creatively. I like it. And after I let go of my idea of how they should look, I really wouldn't want them any other way. I need to get those printed on big pieces of paper for the kids to sign and we'll hang them up.
Friday night we met up with Jenn and Ahmed at Buca and had a great time. Then we were off to South Dakota for Brittany's shower. I was in charge of games, so they played the "who am I" game with names on their back, then found their partner (they were married couples) and with two other partnerships they made toilet paper wedding dresses. The community building there was actually great. Before the day began, I was second-guessing myself and the decision to play games that I knew the older ladies wouldn't be thrilled about... but I decided to just go with the plan... and I'm glad I did. I had at least five older ladies say "Thank you!" and one even said "That was so much fun! I haven't done that in years!" Whew. That made me feel good. It was great to see people meet each other and really connect. And all because I know how important all of this is because of St. Mary's! Thanks, Roger and Michele!
So looking forward to the next week... It should be cooler... and fun! I need to be sure to get the kids signed up for the computer lab (or some access to computers) on Wednesday. And we have open house tomorrow night!!!

No comments: