Friday, November 9, 2007

Vocabulary-Based Instruction

A former student was talking with a couple of my current students saying that my German courses were based so heavily in vocabulary that she felt like she missed out on some of the "other things" that others knew. This stuck with me. Maybe because it was criticism... maybe because it's hard to look at myself in that critical way, but the only way things in life can change for the better is if you can find and reflect on the honest truth.

So I've been thinking about this. And having minor conversations with colleagues about it.

Vocabulary is easy. Vocabulary is low level. And vocabulary is how I learned language.

I want to push it beyond that.

More into the skills of language.

But how can I assess that most efficiently and effectively so that it is the center of curriculum and consideration?

And how does this play into the concept of concept-based instruction? and backward design?

Do themes pull these skills in or do the skills pull the themes in?

1 comment:

Meanwhile, I keep dancing said...

Think about how much you are already doing to incorporate vocabulary, which you are comfortable doing, with upper level application skills, like dialog journals. Pushing yourself is awesome, but don't discount your general awesomeness because of one whiny kid who might, quite frankly, not have grasped the upper level skills, even if you taught them.