Thursday, February 21, 2008

Keeping it positive

The past couple days, I've found that things are generally good for me until my prep hour (4th), which is when I seem to get a bit crabby about even some of the little things. I'm wondering if it is part of having 4th hour prep... because I know that I won't have kids anymore to really brighten my day, so I kind of allow myself to go into that spiral of despair. Sooo... after a couple days of being (probably something of a drama queen) crabby, today I ended with a few exciting things that made it easier to keep it positive.
First, I spent a few extra minutes before fourth hour to plan out a skills-based split-level class that went really well. we took the skill of comparatives, reviewed it as a class, then used the level-specific vocabulary within the comparative lens in order for them to have meaningful practice for their level of german. Then they had a brief essay to write... practicing their skill... and it made sense and they did a nice job. I had a couple kids ask why we weren't watching the news. Some really seem to want to... others I get the "yucky" vibe from... but it's not about their (ever-changing) attitudes... it's about their learning. And I feel like a number of them recognize that.
Then, during my prep, I was in with BR and KT walked in. We got our numbers today. My numbers went up! I even have enough that, theoretically, there could be an extra class... which could mean an extra German teacher for one hour a day (for one semester) at my school! Awesome. It feels good. It was called something like "Rock solid" by the powers that be. Which maybe makes sense after she dropped in and asked how many kids I had in my room (37, by the way).
I still can't shake this feeling that I'm missing something... something hanging over my head that I haven't remembered... Aaah. It's simmeringly frustrating.
Next week is going to be CRAZY busy... so I'll keep it real (short) for now!

No comments: