Friday, January 11, 2008

Reflections...

Today was mostly a good day... it was one of those days that, when i thought about it, I got overwhelmed, stressed out... and I ate unhealthy things, drank coffee and soda when i shouldn't (just to make me "feel better" in that comfort food sort of way). Yet, when I didn't think about it, things got done... almost as if on auto-pilot. Things just fell together... and in decent time and with reasonable work. I got a student the level five test she has been needing for almost a quarter... it's amazing what your brain will realize when it's down to the wire... maybe that's why I allow myself to procrastinate... I have a track record of coming up with the most amazing and meaningful things when I do it at the last minute. And up until that point, my mind will be completely void of ideas. It's crazy, really.
I am always so thankful for my friends, but it's times like today when I am so super thankful for my dear Liesl. It's just the little things that mean the most... the notes on e-mail... the picking up of the "dropped balls"... the undying support when I need it most... the threat (or promise?) of a poke in the eye...
For that, and for you, I am thankful.

Aside from that, things are wrapping up for the night for me... much earlier than I had originally imagined... and I am super proud of some of my work. And that makes me proud. I'm proud that I'm proud... is that weird? Ah well... it's probably how things should be.
I had two great interactions with parents today: one via e-mail and one at a brief IEP meeting. That's always nice.
And today we had speakers from Concordia Language Villages. They were super. They really did a great job of selling the program and keeping the kids truly interested and learning the whole time. That's impressive. My Germans were great (as usual). But one of them really made my day today. At the beginning of the presentation, they ask "Why do you take a foreign language?" During the 4th hour presentation, they asked that question (as usual)... and Fritz blurted out in front of the crowd of 150-200 of his peers, "Because we've got the best teacher!"
Awwwww.... shucks.
There were a couple fun comments about brown-nosing from other classes, but he didn't seem to care. He then turned to me and everyone else sitting around him and say, "Yeah. Come on. You know everyone was thinking it. I just said it." :)
He's such a great kid.

No comments: