Saturday, April 19, 2008

Relationships

On my birthday I got to turn someone in who I thought was drinking.

It broke my heart.

I hate seeing kids turn to a place where they need alcohol to even get through a day (whether they think it's fun or cool or whatever is irrelevant). It hurts me to see them there, so I turn them in with the hope that they can get help.

The SRO came to his teacher's door, had him take a breathalyzer and he tested negative.

It was kind of a relief... but then immediately followed by a tinge of guilt for thinking that it might be true (even though I know it could have been true). So I went to his room so we could chat after lunch. I wanted him to know that it was me who had put the process in motion. I think that open-communication relationships are the way to go... and most often I have had the courage to keep it that way. (It's not always easy... but it's healthier...)

I told him it was because of me and that I did it out of a concern place. He was cool and almost cold at the same time. I guess I didn't expect much different. But I was concerned that this would be the end of that connection. Ah well, I knew that, in the end, I did what I needed to for his benefit... and maybe someday he would see that, but I was willing to lose a connection to get him help.

I got a supportive e-mail from his mother that day. I wrote back saying that it was hard because I do think he's so fantastic, but I (like she) want what is best for him.

Then, hurray... the next day he stopped by! The connection isn't lost... and I was still able to show him that I am concerned and do what I think is right.

Kids need connections and it's terrible when their actions that prove that they need those connections even more (i.e. drinking in school) are ones that can (in their perception anyway) burn those connections for good. And then they fall into that vicious cycle.

I'm glad that, thus far, this one isn't lost that way.

No comments: