Saturday, August 18, 2007

Before I forget...

I was reading Jeff's fantastic Action Research today and he was talking a lot about group work and collaboration/cooperation in the science classroom. There were a few things I really would like to be sure to meaningfully implement in my classroom (especially through my UbD unit), and before I forget (or put the post-it note somewhere in the netherworld of my collection), I am going to blog it.

Kagan and Kohn agree that competition needs to be significantly decreased, if not eliminated all together. It is harmful to the group dynamic and is the logical "not A" to the "A" of collaboration and cooperation.

Instead of prizes, there should be celebrations. It is a worthwhile bit of meaningful positive reinforcement... instead of prizes that just further stratify classes.

Finally, Kagan asserts that heterogeneous "home-base" groups of four are very meaningful for students in order to really feel a sense of community and a connection to the classroom. I want to implement these in a meaningful way and think I will do so via the modality groupings.

P.S. Brain Blast today: Goose Tesselations for the ENTIRE German program... make it the German goose family... or... wait for it... die "Gans"e deutsche Familie!
Hahahahahahahaha. I'm so clever.

No comments: