Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Eureka! ... Maybe?

After the thoughts and questions the other day about making class "something more" without losing what I had... I was reading about monitoring voice in the classroom. The three voices that need monitoring are the learner, teacher and subject. This concept most succinctly put into words the experience I have been having. In the past, I have not been monitoring how the "Id" of the learner voice ("I want to watch movies! Tell us a story! Can we not do anything today?") overrule the subject voice...
However when we look at what goals the students have for the course, it is not doing anyone a favor to allow the "Id" to take over.
So how do I keep what I had, yet weave in the subject voice in an equally fun and exciting way (much in the way that the subject is woven in within the first two or three weeks of German 1)?
I think it needs to be a slow but constant build of language usage... both written and spoken. Perhaps it is most important to ensure that we have FUN language usage days.
(Detour:What if we create passports that can be used as reflective journals for the speaking days? Then students could see their growth and understanding over time... and so could I!)

Okay! Now that is something to keep simmering about.

No comments: